Interview preparation

Q: What was the last exhibition you saw? What did you find interesting? How did the work relate to your current ideas/ creative practice?
A: I went to Photographers’ Gallery and I saw a collection of monochrome photography taken in Jewish area. I find it interesting because I realised all the photos I liked was either symmetrical or in high contrast. The final outcome of my collection project is also black and white, and before I export the images of my sketchbook scan, I also adjust the contrast so that the lines of my drawing will pop.

Q: Name three practitioners whose work you have discovered since being on the level 3 course. How have they influenced your creative practice? What did you fine interesting about their work?
A: First of all, Franklin Till. Who designed the Viewpoint magazine. When I went to the magazine section in the library, Viewpoint was outstanding compare to others due to the photo and the typeface that was used on the cover. It is a design magazine, I found the texts inside is easy to read, the design is overall simple and the graphic inside is calm and matches the images. My favourite thing about that magazine is that he collaborates with Pantone. Working at Pantone is my dream so I got so excited when I saw that on the magazine.
Secondly, an artist who do print making, drawing and sculpture, Brendon Monroe. My favourite work of his is called Hole, and in that print, he only uses lines, but it looks like a 3D landscape. I used the same idea while I was making the final outcome of the collection project. It’s an 2D animation, but I made it look like a 3D space.
Last but not least, Jenny Holzer. I went to Tate modern and sat in front of her artist room for 40 minutes just to do people watching and also write down her messages from a digital marquee board. That work was about how to become a better human. The thing that I liked about her work was the way she showed her artwork. Full messages on the wall repeating again and again, using neon lights, it’s powerful than just a poster or a photo.

Q: Reflect on your progress on the Level 3? How could you improve your current work and approach?
A: I tried different outcome each time for my 3 projects so far, and I think the good thing about this course is that students got chances to try and explore different practice. I need to tryout more ways to develop my approach and collaborate with others more.

Q: What are the three key things you have learnt on the Level 3 course?
A: Work fast, meet people and try everything.

Q: What does graphic design mean to you?
A: I’m a photographer who likes to draw. But I felt something was missing when I consider studying photography for another 3 years. Then I thought way not combine my interests? Photography and drawing formed me, and graphic design is the key thing to connect the two.

Q: What is the most successful piece of work in your portfolio? Why? How could it be improved?
A: The first project, the outcome of the Toolbox project is my favourite one. It was a reason why I wanted to do graphic design more than just staying un my comfort zone, doing photography. I tried letterpress and laser cut. By combining those two method made my poster very unique. The technician there even kept one of my outcome!

Q: Which is the least successful piece of work in your portfolio? Why? How could it be improved?
A: I’d say my magazine layout. Because the print was not perfect. I need to ask people who know how to do the settings when I am printing them. I asked a person in digital space but it turned out she was telling me the wrong thing so I still don’t know how to do the settings.

Q: Who do you see as the target audience for you work? Why?
A: Anyone who share the same interest with me. Because art is very subjective. 

Q: What do you hope to achieve by undertaking a BA course?
A: The knowledge of working in the industry. I also want to build connection with students and artist from all different courses.

Q: What qualities and attributes do you have that will make you a successful student at BA level?
A: I believe my wide interest would help me find unique ways to develop my work. I’m open-minded, willing to explore new things, too.I’m also devoted to my artwork. The time when creating an artwork is always so fast that it’s never enough!

Q: What was the last book you read? Tell us about it?
A: It is called Madness, written by Roald Dahl. Each story contains different madness, some are because of misunderstanding, others are because of war and anger. Not many people focus on this feeling in my opinion. This is way I thought it might be interesting to read about how madness came from.